CLASH:
Neutral
HEIGHT:
dating
Rep: 1 pts [ + | - ]

Hayley Dowling
© Lyx // they/them
Awards: 12

Was it really acting out if the only person privy to his actions was himself? Hayley pondered the question as he pulled his supplies from his bag, settled comfortably in the empty classroom that he usually hid out in when it was time for him to start messing around with forces beyond his control, yet again.

He would probably regret this at some point. Wasn’t that what Mariposa always told him? That anything that wanted to speak to him would do it wihtout the use of the board?

Still, he sat quietly, flipping his planchette over and over in his hands. It had been a rough couple of months. Hadleigh had been in France for months with Mémé, and had been virtually incommunicado the whole time. While Hayley might not have always liked his big brother, it just wasn’t the same without all nine of the Dowling ennead running around Hogwarts. When you broke them down into their family units, it just didn’t feel right that they were only two instead of three, their brother off fulfilling some sort of duty to the family, whatever that meant.

As for Hensley? Well it was like she wasn’t even there. He might not have been an empath, but he didn’t need to be to know that his sister was emotionally unwell. Hayley was sure that it was something to do with her sobriety, and with her breakup with Walter, and just how heavy everything seemed. The younger of the twins knew that if she wanted to speak to him about it, she would, but she hadn’t. She hadn’t hardly spoken to him at all.

With both of his siblings consumed in their own lives and unable to be reached, he could feel the need to act out coming, and was trying to contain it as best he could.

The truth was, he hadn’t had anything come through his board yet. Most of the time, it was Mariposa, jumping into his planchette and making it dance around the board, spelling out things like….

Y-O-U R-E-A-L-L-Y S-M-E-L-L L-I-K-E D-O-G B-U-N-S

… Or the more frequent….

H-A-Y-L-E-Y Y-O-U-R-E B-E-I-N-G S-T-U-P-I-D S-T-O-P P-L-A-Y-I-N-G W-I-T-H S-P-I-R-I-T B-O-A-R-D-S

… and really, he didn’t think that anything would come of it, even if he was in as bad a headspace as he was for the moment. He set the planchette on the edge of the board.

A chill ran through him as he felt fingers passing through the back of his neck. He turned, finding his long-drowned friend standing there with a stern, disapproving look on her face. “You never let me have any fun,” Hayley remarked, reaching up to rub where she had put her hand through his neck. His hand came away smelling like violets, something he could never get used to.

@Mariposa Morrigan

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Mariposa Morrigan
 Posted: Jul 3 2017, 09:15 PM

"made of glass"

YEAR:
Ghost
HOUSE:
Beauxbatons
CLASH:
N/A
HEIGHT:

Mariposa Morrigan
© Amber //
Awards: None

For as long as Mariposa could remember, the living have been obsessed with the dead. Even when she'd been one of those crazy people with a body, she'd been fascinated by the concept of life after death. She'd dated a ghost. She'd studied ghosts. Most people she knew were always so interested to talk to her - not to get to know her or who she was - but to ask her about being a ghost. Fifty years ago she would have been offended by the fact that she was reduced to some spectre of the week for these people, but after half a century, she supposed the was used to it. Of course, there were always a few people every couple of years that actually became a friend to her. She would enjoy talking to them for a few years but invariable, they'd always end up finishing school and she'd never see them again.

Hayley Dowling was one of those students. She didn't know if she'd see him again when he was done with his education, but he was her absolute favorite out of the people who'd ever bother getting to know her - Josh aside, of course. Hayley was one of those people who was obsessed with the dead, constantly playing around with a ouija board and a planchette. Mari hated when he did that.

The problem with the living being obsessed with the dead is that sometimes the dead were obsessed with the living.

Using a ouija board, trying to contact spirits - it was all a bad idea to the ghostly girl. Her snake friend lived in a world where it was impossibly easy to talk to all the ghosts he wanted - and most of them were happy to talk to him. The ones who weren't so easy, so willing to talk to him, well... those were the ones he needed to stay away from the most. As a ghost, she was more in tune with the spirit world than any living person could hope to be and she knew full well what other nightmares lurked invisible in the shadows, looking for any victim that they could find. Trying to contact these evil things - that was just asking to become a victim.

That was why she always tried to interfere with her friend whenever she caught him being a little too friendly with the spirit world. By possessing and moving the planchette, she was able to cut-off whatever conversation he was sending out into the world and preventing whoever might hear it from answering. This time, she snuck up from behind, passing a ghostly hand across his neck in an attempt to distract him.

"Hayley Aquila Dowling," she started as she floated around to face him, using his full name for emphasis, "how many times must I tell you to stay away from things like this?" She wished for a moment that she'd died in a fire so she could conjure flames at will and burn the awful thing in front of her, but somehow she didn't think it would help their friendship much. "You may think you're just having fun, but what you're really doing is grabbing a bullhorn and calling all the spirits in the world to come bother you. I'm helping you, you know?" She shook her head in disapproval at him. "I'm worried about you. Let me worry. I'm old enough to be your grandmother, and grandmothers worry."

------------------
@Hayley Dowling
PM
^
Hayley Dowling
 Posted: Jul 27 2017, 03:13 PM

"best protect your neck"

YEAR:
6th
HOUSE:
Slytherin
CLASH:
Neutral
HEIGHT:
dating

Hayley Dowling
© Lyx // they/them
Awards: 12

The disapproval was palpable, Hayley refraining from rolling his eyes like the petulant teenager that he was. The thing was, he had never had anything come at him through the board. Was he tempting fate? Absolutely. He liked to do that a lot, and really, it was amazing that he hadn’t died yet from the calculated risks he took despite being so bad at math.

“I’m an epileptic, Mariposa. No matter how careful I am with anything, I’m calling spirits to come bother me,” he pointed out, his hands moving away from the planchette as he folded his arms. That wasn’t even considering the fact that much of the time, even when she wasn’t possessing his planchette to cut off whatever communication he might have, nothing had come through the board, and he’d been at this for something like four years already. What was the worst that could happen?

This, as we know, is probably not a question that Hayley wants to ask. Someone in the audience is screaming at him for being a typical white kid in a horror movie, but he can’t hear them, so this is about to go as well as it’s going to go.

“You sound like my abuela,” he echoed, not meaning it to be mean. That was just the tone of his voice, always sounding like he was about to fight someone. “Did you ever play with a ouija board when you were still alive? Wasn’t that a thing that teen girls used to do at sleepovers at one point in the last 40 years?” That was probably after her time, but not the point. The point was that he wanted to know if she was also steering him away from this because it was a stupid decision that she had made once when she was his age. He supposed that it was different when you were magical. Muggles couldn’t see ghosts most of the time, so communicating with them definitely seemed like it was out of the question.

@Mariposa Morrigan

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Mariposa Morrigan
 Posted: Aug 3 2017, 09:38 PM

"made of glass"

YEAR:
Ghost
HOUSE:
Beauxbatons
CLASH:
N/A
HEIGHT:

Mariposa Morrigan
© Amber //
Awards: None

Mariposa narrowed her eyes at the poor young boy in front of her. Her arms crossed, her foot tapping on the floor - well, through the floor at least - she couldn't help but feel a swell of annoyance. "Cute, but I'm serious. Stop messing with this stupid thing. There are literally ghosts everywhere, all around you, at all times. Talk to one of them. Talk to me. You don't have to risk your entire life on some stupid board." Sometimes, the ghost forgot that despite her seventy years of existing, she still looked nineteen, same as the day she died. Though she wasn't the type to lecture, she had to imagine that it seemed silly to take heed of warnings from teenage ghosts, soaked in ectoplasmic water. Regardless, she needed to try and make Hayley understand that he was playing with forces beyond his control, beyond what he could understanding. "I'm glad," she responded to his comment of her sounding like his grandmother. "Maybe you'll take me seriously."

His question about whether or not she'd ever played with one when she was alive caught her suddenly off-guard. Her life back them seemed forever ago, and sometimes she found herself forgetting what it even felt like to be alive. It was a jarring realization for that moment. Once upon a time, she'd been flesh and blood with the future bright ahead for her. It just took one little slip, one little noggin knock on a pool tap, and the next thing she knew, she was this ghostly thing. She'd had a decision about that too, but even that felt far away compared to this moment. Now. Coming back to the present, she shook her head at him. "I've never touched on of those boards except for yours and that's only to get you to quit it. I think they got popular right after I died. I remember people playing with them for a while, but Hayley, they weren't like you. You're open to this kind of thing. Spirits find people like you," she warned, trying not to shudder.

With an angry grunt, she tried to kick the board, but only succeeded in flinging a bit of her ghostly water onto it. "Oh no, I've ruined it, guess you've got to throw it away," she suggested, an innocent lilt attaching itself to her voice. It was useless though. For whatever reason, this boy, this small tiny child was insistent that he would be okay, and to just let him use the ouija board. Her heart - at least the space where one would be - felt heavy. "Look, I've been dead a long time. Can't you just accept that in my fifty-one years of being dead, I've seen some shit? Trust the ghost, I know the spirit world better than you do." She hoped her words would move him in some way, but she was starting to worry that she would end up losing her friend.

---
@Hayley Dowling
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Infinity Rising Wolf Out jcink forum Last Resort Shadowplay Lochland Grove OOTA  photo hr_banneri2014_zpsclfhj2jt.png Avalon a Panfandom RP Kousei, an island paradise for the natural and supernatural awaits Code 8 The Beginning A Change of Heart Storybrooke War Is Brewing Forum Roleplay Site A BRILLIANT MAGIC Ascension Of Darkness DW

AUTUMN 2017
Welcome to Wizarding Realm! We are an alternate universe Harry Potter site set in the present day at Hogwarts. All of our lovely students are back from their summer terms refreshed and (hopefully) ready to buckle down for classes. Join us! :D Please Register using Proper Case!!
BE A LIGHT TO EACH OTHER ♥