Half Blood
Year
4th Year
House
Gryffindor
clash
Awards: None

“Fate is a bunch of bullshit!”

Ram’s caustic words flew at Elias. He wasn’t speaking them so much as hurling constructed sentences in his general direction. There was a fair bit of empty space between the two fourth years, tables and chairs separating them. Which was good, because Ram visibly irritated. His right fist was clenched tight and his left gesticulated wildly and sharply through his speeches as they bandied words back and forth. Both were signs of his intense frustration, but the look on his face told the story better than either agitated hand. His lip kept twitching as he tried to explain his position, betraying his uncertainty. Ram wasn’t very good at arguing with words. Fists or wands were much easier. He at least knew what to do there. You could tell really fast if a person knew how to fight. And you could tell even easier if the fight was serious or not. Words were trickier.

Ram fumbled around words like he was traversing an empty house in the dark. He tripped over himself more often than not, and his words never made a complete picture. He knew what his argument was. Anyone who had a heart ought to be able to understand what he did. Yet time and again, he found himself grasping for straws to explain the logic that seemed so clear. He never did well. He had the same problem with essays and homework assignments. It was safe to say Ram would never be a teacher or a politician.

“You do a million million things in a day,” Ram began, reaching out seeming nonsensically and knocking against a desk with his clenched fist, “Does someone decide that for you, or do you decide for yourself? Was I fated to knock on that desk?”

He asked earnestly, waiting for an answer, his fingers tapping impatiently on his side, his face imploring the Slytherin boy to finally see reason. They’d been arguing since the Ancient Mythology Class ended. That was at least ten minutes ago. They had started by talking about someone who was cursed by fate. Ram had said he’d try to save him. Elias had said he’d leave him. Classic dichotomy. Did Fate Exist, shaping our destinies, or did we shape them for ourselves.

Hinduism and Buddhism were clear. Fate was ours to forge. Each action, tiny and insignificant, created the fate we’d eventually face. True, it may feel like your fate came together by some grand design, but you designed it, each day and each breath and each decision, one step at a time reaching into an inexorable future. The widow you help or scorn could later decide if you go to prison, your fate altered by a single negative action. So Hinduism and Buddhism would tell you to always do the most good for the most people, and your life would turn out fine. Ram believed this, even if he didn’t really believe in gods.

Which could be a potential problem. He latched onto the idea like a knife he could stab with. “And who is guiding fate, if it exists?” Fate implied a creator or guiding hand, usually a god. How wizards could believe in gods still escaped Ram, but he tried not to judge that harshly. But if he could leverage an atheist argument into a victory, so be it.

@Elias Deveaux

--------------------
Ramir Khan
Profile | Plotting | Tracker
PM
^
Elias Deveaux
 Posted: May 13 2017, 11:31 AM
"The Boy With The Thorn In His Side"
Jynx
412 Posts
Rep: 12 pts
[ + | - ]
Group
Slytherin Novice
Height
5'5"
Status
Pureblood
Year
4th
House
Slytherin
clash
Awards: 57

A muscle in his jaw twitched. The heat of the afternoon was not felt within confines of the classroom, which Elias was glad for because he could certainly feel anger boiling in his blood. He heard cicadas through the walls and from the outside; it was one of the weird days when the temperature decided to spike up for no reason other than to spite the Slytherin. It did not help that Ramir Khan was so close to him and looking like an angry ape. While that was not the nicest way to describe someone, Elias couldn’t be bothered to think of a more refined term for the other boy when the Gryffindor had gotten so worked up over a casual comment Elias had said earlier in class. If Elias was not schooled in etiquette, he would have definitely called out Ramir for his ignorance about life. He clearly did not understand how things worked with the way he disagreed with Elias.

Folding his arms across his chest, Elias cast Ramir an icy stare that generally had people avoiding the fourth year. He would not have minded if Ramir decided to leave at this moment because he did not see the point in this discussion when he was clearly correct. His stare was not unlike most of his stares, as the boy rarely looked happy these days. To be fair, there was little for the boy to smile about. His grandfather was about to disown him for the comment he made during the old man’s birthday party. His cousin and perhaps only friend had been hurt by his comment and chose to avoid him. Or maybe it was the other way around. He had a tendency to avoid people too, so she wasn’t the only one to blame.

“As I stated many times, my answer was said with Ancient Mythology in mind. Since you’re also taking that class, you know three Fates have an important role in Greek mythology. I took them into consideration before giving my answer,” said Elias. In this mind, his answer was correct. Most of the time, people tried to change their fate and only ended up failing miserably. Sometimes, they were left with an even worse outcome than before they started. He learned the same lesson too, but from the looks of it, Ramir hadn’t. “And even if the three fates were not involved, my answer would be the same. You’re being stubborn. You don’t want to believe life is predestined because it sounds horrible.”

Elias did not break his cool facade even when Ramir knocked his fist against the desk. He was displeased that Ramir was physically showing his anger, but he decided to ignore it. Instead, he listened to the boy’s question and crafted a suitable answer he hoped would convince the other boy. “Yes, most of my actions have been decided for me. For you too. When you were born, you were destined to become a wizard. Even if you did not attend Hogwarts or any wizarding school, it does not change the fact that you have magic in your blood. Eventually, you would have found out about your magic. That is the fate I’m talking about. I don’t care about the insignificant details of your life. Only the bigger picture.”

Ever since Elias was born, most of his life had already been decided for him. The classes he would take prior to Hogwarts down to the outfits his aunt chose for him to wear at formal events. When was there ever a choice for Elias Deveaux?

“Fate does not have to be decided by the gods. In my case, it was decided by my family. I’m sure a lot of your decisions were made by your family, including your enrollment at Hogwarts.”

@Ramir Khan

--------------------
user posted image Fluffball the Fifth by Bolt <333

user posted imageuser posted image
PM
^
Ramir Khan
 Posted: May 14 2017, 05:29 PM
"Advanced Member"
JAL | Aslan
He/Him
33 Posts
Rep: 2 pts
[ + | - ]
Group
Gryffindor
Height
5' 5"
Status
Half Blood
Year
4th Year
House
Gryffindor
clash

“Enrollment at Hogwarts wasn’t fate,” Ram said simply. He didn’t have a response that really fit the whole finding his magic bit, so he ignored it. He also ignored the clarification about saving the man from the Three Fates, because clearly Elias thought that the rules regarding fate applied beyond the scope of the story, so it was an excuse and nothing more to try and take heat off of what he thought. Because he still thought it. He thought they didn’t have any agency in their lives. That their choices were made before they actually made them. “I had a choice. I could’ve chosen school in Bombay. I did not. Not fate. Choice.”

Ram stared at the boy for several long moments, his gaze piercing and discerning. It was clear he trying to size him up in response to his latest answer. Something had changed in him when he gave that, and Ram tried to put name to it somehow. From an old family, Ram knew that. The Deveaux name was known even to “traitorous hicks” like his family was. That meant he was responding with years of baggage. Old wizarding families tended to be pretty rigid and unchanging in their views and their ways of rearing children. Ram had yet to meet a pureblooded wizard that didn’t have some kind of serious damage brought on by their family patriarch or their grandmother or some other bullshit. It was as his mother and father had taught him. Money brings chains. That’s why it is made of metal in every country in the world. The iron we willingly wear. His opponent clearly felt the weight of those chains in his responses about fate.

He spoke as if he had no agency because his family tried to put that on him. They tried to make his choices for him. He said it was fate, but really it was… “Cowardice,” Ram said, a smile coming to mouth as he finally put word to the action, “Your ‘fate’ is cowardice. You let others make your choices because you are afraid to make your own.” Ram’s words sounded a little harsher than he’d intended them to, but he didn’t know how to soften them, so blunt was the only volume he could work with. “That does not mean they did not happen. Only that you refused to take part in them. In Hindu we are told to live today for today. That every day you make new choices, and those choices form your future.” Ram bit back the worst insult, swallowed the phrase ’Today I chose to argue a bigot” and instead said, “Today I chose to try and educate you. Maybe today you will choose to learn.”

Ram’s shoulders fell a bit, and the younger boy struggled to find a way to get back to the argument at hand instead of taking cheap, easy shots at Elias. His face grew quizzical for several long moments, while he seeming brought up and rejected several avenues of attack. His words weren’t as quick as Elias’s each requiring more thought before he said anything at all. It made the debate’s pace tilted and slow, like a badly syncopated dance. “And often…what we think is fate…is simply choice in action,” he weighed those words carefully, then nodded, liking them, “For example, pureblooded families attempted to keep muggleborn wizards out of Hogwarts for decades. They pretended that they were superior. That muggleborns were fated to be lesser. No muggleborn wizard accepted that. They chose differently. Now to be a blood purist is next to laughable. What happened to that fate? Choices changed it.”

@Elias Deveaux

--------------------
Ramir Khan
PM
^
Elias Deveaux
 Posted: May 15 2017, 03:10 PM
Jynx
412 Posts
[ + | - ]
Group
Slytherin Novice
Height
5'5"
Status
Pureblood
Year
4th
House
Slytherin
clash

The heat of the afternoon must have been getting to his head. Otherwise, the Slytherin would have long gotten up from his seat and exited the classroom. It felt hopeless to argue about something he was not able to change. As he stared at Ramir, he had to wonder why the other boy was trying so hard to get Elias to change his mind. It was obvious from the frequency in which Ramir paused that he struggled with finding the right words to say. One look at the other boy was enough for Elias to decide that Ramir did not undergo the same training he and other kids from prominent wizarding families were subjected. After all, a couple of sentences from Elias was enough to get the other boy visibly worked up while Elias sat calmly in his chair. That was one of the first lessons in etiquette: do not get worked up over meaningless comments. Elias did not comment on it because he knew better, but he noticed the way Ramir’s fingers tapped impatiently and the expressions written clearly on his face. If his instructor caught Elias doing that, he’d receive more than just a scolding.

“The end result is that you’re at Hogwarts, as expected,” said Elias. His voice was much too calm compared to the Gryffindor. It lacked the fervor of someone who truly believed in their words; the words were more likely to come from someone who had simply accepted things as they were. Even as he sat arguing with the other boy, Elias felt a numbing sensation. He was back at the Deveaux estate the summer after his first year, staring at his father’s old school memorabilia. There was nothing that hinted his mother once existed, but there had been many photos of the Gryffindor common room and his father’s old friends. A Quidditch trophy. He was told he was the spitting image of his father. The two were almost identical during their childhoods, down to their mannerisms and personality, but that was where the similarities ended.

Elias barely reacted at being called a coward. It was nothing he hadn’t heard, but the second part of the sentence hit a nerve. “By your logic, I chose to be a Deveaux and to be born with magic.” Before he even realized it, his eyes darkened with a fierce resolve. “Since you’re clearly the more educated person, maybe you can tell me what I should be doing,” said Elias, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “Maybe I should tell my grandfather I’m sick and tired of everything and that he can take his standards and shove it up his arse.” He was aware that he was cursing, but he decided that it was okay because Ramir was an uneducated ape. And truth be told, that was what the boy did exactly at his grandfather’s birthday party. It only resulted in the further the rift between him and his grandfather.

He was aware of the long moments of silence as Ramir took his time to gather his thoughts. Elias could only wonder what the ape was going to say next, but he assumed it was going to be another haphazard argument.

Elias wondered what he meant himself sometimes, when he said that people were bound to their own fates. Did he mean everyone or just himself? That was why he hated people like Ramir, who thought that a simple conversation would change his beliefs just like that.

“As I said before, those born with magic are fated to have magic.” He was staring at a speck on the floor. He was treading on dangerous territory, so the boy refused to expand his answer. Instead he scoffed at Ramir, “And that’s why there’s so much filth in the castle these days. Even house elves have magic, but does that make them superior to humans? No.”

@Ramir Khan

--------------------

PM
^
Ramir Khan
 Posted: May 15 2017, 09:55 PM
"Advanced Member"
JAL | Aslan
He/Him
33 Posts
[ + | - ]
Group
Gryffindor
Height
5' 5"
Status
Half Blood
Year
4th Year
House
Gryffindor
clash

Ram shook his head, his mouth widening into a manic little smile. He chuckled softly, inhaling long and slow and exhaling sharply. He closed his eyes as he did, and all together he formed a classic expression: This is person is such an idiot. Or ‘I’m about to punch this bitch’ but really, both were pretty applicable right now. “None of us choose how we are made,” he said, like it was impossible this guy didn’t see the immensely simple logic behind them, “But that is not fate. What we do with it is what makes fate. You do not have to keep your name.”

Ram lifted his arm, slicing a hand across the robe as if to signify ‘cutting away’. “You could…”he grinned, stealing Elias’s words, even mimicking his accent, “shove it up your arse. Be someone else. Choice.” Ram wished his mother was here. She could explain that concept much better than he could. As it was he had to try and explain a complex philosophical point in short sentences and simple language. It wasn’t very eloquent. “You can also…change what it means. Your name defines you. This is not right. Instead you should define your name. You act like choices have already been made for you. So un-make them.” Ram tried to find a few more ways to say what he meant…then found himself lacking for words and moved on, hoping he’d made his point well enough.

“Magic is much the same. I have a dick,” Ram said with a grin. He was fourteen, after all, and was seriously using his penis in an argument as a point he thought was pretty good. “I can choose not to use it. Am I fated to have sex then, because I have the ability?” Ram lifted his hands, shrugging. Then he pulled his wand out of his right sleeve, holding it aloft. “I can break this. Suddenly I do less magic. I can not come here. I’d do even less. How long before I am not magical? Again. Choice. You think you have to be a wizard because your father says so. Your father is a dick.”

Ram was incredibly proud of his last statement on several levels. One, it was a petty insult, a revenge on this boy who stayed calm and didn’t seem touched by any of his words. The raven-haired slytherin’s father probably was a dick. The son certainly seemed to be. But it also fit his argument. His father was saying Elias had to be a wizard. He was “the dick” in the analogy. Elias felt he was compelled to obey. But he didn’t have to. Whatever it was he felt like was trapping him was just made of someone else’s choices. None of them could hold him if he decided they didn’t. If he chose another path. That’s why fate was choice.

If only Ram could articulate that thought in any competent way. Instead he tightened his hand around his wand, keeping it drawn but pointed towards the ground. Just in case. He almost lifted it when he finally realized what Elias was getting at with House Elves. He’d kept himself from calling Elias any names earlier because he hadn’t actually said anything hateful yet. “Of course,” he said, his voice dropping a few octaves and the chocolate brown in his eyes turning hard and dark, “The bigot believes in fate. That’s the only way your family is worth anything.” His words came out as sharp as he looked now, moving past simply debating. “Fate aside, magic and superiority have nothing in common. Disconnect these thoughts.” He wasn’t arguing. His words sounded more like knife-edged commands. “We have magic. It is a tool to make our fate. It is not our fate.”

@Elias Deveaux

--------------------
Ramir Khan
PM
^
Elias Deveaux
 Posted: May 18 2017, 05:14 AM
Jynx
412 Posts
[ + | - ]
Group
Slytherin Novice
Height
5'5"
Status
Pureblood
Year
4th
House
Slytherin
clash

He had to calm down.

Despite his icy exterior, the boy was seething on the inside. He wanted to glare at Ramir, to express his angers through his emotions, but he wouldn’t. His instructors expected better of him. He expected better of himself. By showing his emotions on his face, it would mean allowing the other boy to win. That was how it had always been. They won if they saw how hurt Elias was by their words, but he was more experienced now.

Breathe. Slow breaths. There was no point getting riled up by words from someone who never had to live through what Elias experienced. He wasn’t the one faced with the guillotine, threatening to fall at any second the moment his grandfather decided to disown him. While Ramir was likely to have his own demons, Elias cared little for the Gryffindor. He might have if the two hadn't ended up arguing about fate and choice. While the Gryffindor seemed to be the boisterous type, he seemed like he had good intentions. There was no doubt that Ramir was talking to Elias because he wanted to change what he probably believed to be an unhealthy mindset. It mattered little to Elias that Ramir’s intentions were noble. Right now, Ramir was nothing more than an annoying pest for stabbing at a sore spot.

“The last time I checked a dictionary, fate was defined to be a ‘series of predetermined events.’ By this definition, was it not fate that I was born a Deveaux, much like you are born a Khan. You cannot change who your birth parents are.” Elias of course knew what Ramir was trying to get at, that he was able to still forge his own path despite whatever family background he had, but he would not help the other boy’s argument.

Elias was not amused when Ramir decided to mimic his sentence, down to his accent but he let it slide. Despite his French origins, Elias spoke perfect English. “I can change my name, my speech, and even my appearance, but in the end, I am still who I am. My personality, my mannerisms, there is no escaping who I am born as. I have magic. My birth father is Jeremy Deveaux. There will be no redefining of my name. I cannot retract the actions made by family centuries before I was even born.”

The boy’s jaw nearly dropped when Ramir brought his penis into the argument. He tried to keep the amusement from showing in his tone, but he had to admit, he wanted to laugh or roll his eyes. He wasn’t sure yet. “Well, I hope you don’t use your dick.” Because I’m sure none of us want you to reproduce and I don't need images in my head.

When Ramir brought up breaking his wand, Elias stiffened visibly. Considering he had half-contemplated on breaking his own wand so that he could be done with everything, this was definitely heading into dangerous territory. The amusement he felt evaporated, replaced by a sense of dread. “The wand was originally developed in Europe. Other parts of the world, such as Uagadou in Africa teach their students to use wandless magic. Of course, it’s not recommended and there are people unhappy about it, but it’s entirely possible. It’s not that easy to walk away from magic.” His last words were said more quietly than the rest. He ignored the insult about his father. If he was honest, Elias didn’t really care about what people said about Jeremy. The two rarely talked. He had lost track of the last time he saw his father.

Elias could tell Ramir did not like what Elias had to say about Muggleborns. Even when Elias saw Ramir’s wand pointed at the ground, he kept his wand safely tucked in his pockets. He hated using his wand unless it was absolutely necessary. If it came down to it, he’d try to dodge whatever spell the Gryffindor decided to use. The other boy was making cheap shots at his family. It was fair, considering Elias most likely insulted the boy’s family by dismissing Muggleborns and halfbloods. It looked the boy made assumptions about the boy's family based on his views. The Deveauxs were steeped in many years of heroism. While his grandfather was generally conservative about most matters, the man was an advocate for Muggleborn rights. The Deveauxs were about as honorable as a family as one could get and it was suffocating. He knew he should have stopped talking, but he didn’t. “Magic is superiority. We are able to cure Muggle illnesses. What Muggles perceive as miracles are nothing more than everyday occurrences in our world.”

----

To make things clear, the Deveauxs with the exception of Elias and his father view Muggleborns/Muggles/Halfbloods favorably. I'm leaving this note here because I've confused a looooot of people in the past and Elias always complains about his family so it's hard to explain in the post alone....xD They are still old money, though, and tend to be snobs.

@Ramir Khan

--------------------

PM
^
Ramir Khan
 Posted: May 20 2017, 09:43 AM
"Advanced Member"
JAL | Aslan
He/Him
33 Posts
[ + | - ]
Group
Gryffindor
Height
5' 5"
Status
Half Blood
Year
4th Year
House
Gryffindor
clash

“God you’re really thick, you know that?” Ram said the words with a little chuffing laugh. He was in awe at Elias’s ability to be more stubborn than a mountain. There was hardly even an argument here. How could he not see what was plain as day to the Gryffindor? He just kept repeating the same things over and over like they would change Ram’s mind, while Ramir did all the work of coming up with a hundred examples of why fate was bunk.

“You pick a terrible example in names,” he said, trying to explain in words the idea of legacies that could be changed on a single action. He himself was a product of choice. His mother’s last name is Khan. His last name would normally be Copper, which was his father’s natural surname, if not for the choice his dad had made. But Elias wouldn’t believe that it was anything more than coincidence. He had to make it somehow personal to the raven-haired idiot. “If…if you went on a murder spree right now. Killed everyone in the castle. Worst killer in 50 years. What would happen to your name?” The slight teenager hoped Elias could make that connection. One of two things would happen: The Deveaux name would suddenly remembered as the name of killers and wild crazy murderers. Or The Deveaux family would decide Elias wasn’t one of them, an aberration in their line, and suddenly he would no longer be Deveaux. Both could drastically change what it meant to hold his name. And it would be predicated on a single choice that Elias made right now.

“No matter what happens, your name would be changed. Changed by your decision. Not fate. You are only fated to do what you’ve already chosen to be true. You live in a hallway with one beginning and one end. But that isn’t true. There have been doors all along that hallway your whole life that you just assume are locked without even trying. You’re so busy looking straight ahead you don’t see that there’s a trap door in the floor that could take you to a totally different hallway!” Ram hated using metaphor. People never really understood his metaphors anyways, but he was running out of ways to explain this to Elias.

“Magic is the same,” he said, pulling the conversation back to Elias’s point about magic, “You assume it is hard to leave behind because you’ve already decided that you need it. I love magic. It’s wonderful and thrilling and complex and simple all at once. But I could put it down today and never look back. It isn’t the end of everything. It’s not even the best at doing most things.” Ram could talk about this subject, and Elias had broached it. So he was ready to school him on the achievements of muggles, because he’d lived among them for fourteen years and they were fascinating.

“Take light. Muggle lights capture lightning and create a bright, white light that isn’t hot. Not danger of burning something, or it running out in the rain. Let’s not forget that the Hogwarts Express is their technology that we just stole. Wizards don’t know how to make cars. Muggles also have things no bigger than your hand that can hold a million books. A million million, at that. They hardly need libraries. And if they need to find information, they just ask their little device and it gives them the answer instantly. No hours researching. No restricted sections. Just information. Wizards have nothing approaching that kind of power. And we haven’t even touched the concept of beauty, which muggles do better than any wizard ever could. Muggle music, their art? Staggers the mind.” Ram’s eyes were far away, as if he were seeing the bright colors of muggle art in the museums in Bombay, or the hindu temples from his home town. “Magic is different. But it’s not superior. Neither are you.”

@Elias Deveaux

--------------------
Ramir Khan
PM
^
Elias Deveaux
 Posted: May 21 2017, 08:44 PM
Jynx
412 Posts
[ + | - ]
Group
Slytherin Novice
Height
5'5"
Status
Pureblood
Year
4th
House
Slytherin
clash

Elias ignored the remark made about his intelligence. No matter how much he got depressed (and trust him, there were plenty of things the teenager was upset about), he would hardly be shaken up by a comment like that. Unfortunately, considering Elias was not privy to the fact that Ramir’s mother’s last name was Khan, he did not know what Ramir was talking about. To the Slytherin, Ramir’s argument placed the two at a standstill so he did not offer more words on the subject.

“Nothing would happen to the Deveaux name. I would be seen as the eccentric Deveaux who decided to go on a rampage for whatever bizarre reason,” said Elias, unfazed by the mention of his possible murder of dozens of people. People like his cousin might have been affected or possibly offended, but to Elias, it was just an example Ramir decided to use.

His grandfather already threatened to disown him after his outburst at the fateful birthday party. It had been time. Elias had always been seen as an eccentric child with his reserved nature and tendencies to ignore the world around him. For many years, his grandfather worried his grandson might turn out bad because of his mother’s untimely death and more importantly, his mother’s background. The Lockets had been deeply invested in dark magic, save for his mother. Jeremy Deveaux spent most of his life trying to fight against the prejudices his mother suffered, but even after her death, she was viewed with disdain. Even now, it was not uncommon to hear a snide remark from his aunt about his dead mother, but Elias learned not to be affected. But, it annoyed him that his family viewed him as a ticking bomb where it was almost certain that he would turn into a terrible person after he failed to get into Gryffindor like a normal Deveaux. That was the destiny he hated, and sometimes, he wondered if it would be better to prove how terrible he could become.

“How do you leave a part of yourself? If you truly love magic, then how can you leave it just like that?” asked Elias.

As Ramir rambled on about Muggle technology, Elias remained quiet. His lips were pressed together. How could Elias not know? If he was going to declare a significant portion of the population as insignificant, then he better well do his research beforehand. He spent hours raving his grandfather’s library, reading whatever Muggle literature he could find, Shakespeare being the most notable. He read scientific papers written by prominent Muggle scientists such as Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein. He read modern papers, even if he had to painstakingly ask his cousin Belle to retrieve them for him because his grandfather’s library did not have anything past a certain date. But that was about as far as the boy got. Elias knew how a television worked, but he never saw one or watched a movie. He understood how a cell phone worked enough, but he did not understand the convenience of having a handphone in his pocket. Obviously, the boy refused to take Muggle Studies.

While it was clear to Elias that Ramir could greatly benefit from a public speaking class, the enthusiasm in the other boy’s words did not escape his ears. Even as a child, he was told by his family that he was “cold and distant.” He doubted he’d ever able to match the fervor that Ramir was displaying on a whim. The two weren’t even acquaintances yet Ramir was not afraid to bare his emotions to a complete stranger. A part of Elias felt jealous; he wondered if he had been more like Ramir, would he have been a Gryffindor? Instead, he was stuck in a dungeon. But that’s where slaves belong, said the familiar sinister voice in his head. Indeed, he was a slave to his own destiny and despite what Ramir said, he could feel the chains wrapped around his arms and legs.

The words Muggle music, their art caused Elias’ eyes to soften. If he was born without magic, things might have been different. Maybe his mother would have been alive. Maybe Mozart would have been made more sense and he’d understand what Evelina was talking about when she said he wasn’t playing with enough emotion. Maybe he would have grown up to become a writer or a composer. Maybe both if he was smart enough. But those were all maybes. Instead, he was a talented duelist even if he didn’t like using his wand because that was what his grandfather wanted him to be. He was a blood purist because his father told him Muggles were the reason his mother died. In the end, he was Elias Deveaux and when he died, no one would remember him as anything more than a bitter person who was lost when there was no one else to think for him.

“Just leave me alone.” He was no longer looking at the other boy and instead had already started packing his school supplies into his bag.

@Ramir Khan

--------------------

PM
^
Ramir Khan
 Posted: May 30 2017, 02:57 PM
"Advanced Member"
JAL | Aslan
He/Him
33 Posts
[ + | - ]
Group
Gryffindor
Height
5' 5"
Status
Half Blood
Year
4th Year
House
Gryffindor
clash

“Wait…”

Ram’s face flickered through emotions, visible and obvious despite their rapidity. He shifted from angry to annoyed with a relaxing of furrowed brows and a widening of his eyes. A tilt of his head that used to be straight. Then one eyebrow rose higher, the opposite eye almost closing. The head tilt deepened as Ram crossed over into confusion. Then it was even deeper confusion, Ram’s head straightening but turning to the side, his squinted eye staring at the Deveaux who was hastily packing his things. He mouthed ‘what?’ without actually saying anything.

This made no sense. Ram had made a couple good points, sure. But Elias had been winning the debate on fate. Ram simply didn’t have answers to many of his points without citing Hinduism, and he was trying not to bring religion into it, especially when he wasn’t religious almost at all. True, he’d managed to drag Elias into an argument on blood purity which nobody could lose. Blood purity was a dumb, outmoded idea that had long since deserved to wither and die. Elias hadn’t really responded to that one, and instead he’d withdrawn into himself. Gone quiet.

Wait a minute…

Ram’s face made the equivalent of ‘wait a minute…’ as he started to realize what was happening. Something he’d said had hurt Elias’s feelings. That had to be the answer. “What did I say?” he asked suddenly, trying to get the boy to talk to him again. Only then did he realize he enjoyed this back and forth, even if he wasn’t doing very well. It was kind of messed up in that way, that Ram was finding anything about the self-absorbed boy enjoyable, but he couldn’t deny that he was disappointed it was ending so quickly.

Eager for an answer, he vaulted one of the few tables that had separated him, taking a couple steps forward almost threatening in his suddenly explosion of motion. “I made you sad,” statement not a question, “How? Should I have let you win? I thought I was supposed to win?” His face fell a little bit, concern blanketing all the quizzical, questioning emotions seen earlier. He acted more like he’d just kill a baby bird than had his debate partner suddenly give up. “You were winning the whole fate bit, if it makes you feel any better. I think.” He sighed, unable to do anything until Elias told him what was wrong. So instead he just gave him his best puppy dog eyes and waited with typical Ramir intensity.

@Elias Deveaux

--------------------
Ramir Khan
PM
^
Elias Deveaux
 Posted: May 31 2017, 03:33 AM
Jynx
412 Posts
[ + | - ]
Group
Slytherin Novice
Height
5'5"
Status
Pureblood
Year
4th
House
Slytherin
clash

Despite the discouraging thoughts in his mind, Elias Deveaux was determined to keep all of his belongings organized within his backpack. There was a special place for his quills to ensure that none of the ink would rub onto any other object. A few of his reading books sat idly in the inner back pocket of his backpack, hidden behind a layer of black cloth. Elias had almost forgotten about them with the amount of things that kept him preoccupied these days. Between piano practice with Evelina, dueling practice, wandless magic attempts, and school work, there had been little time to rest let alone think. His dueling regime was something that had been ingrained in him since he was a child, so despite being tired everyday, there was still an impulse to walk over to the practice arena. As he zipped up his bag, the boy thought about how weird it was for his mind to already be switching gears when he had been depressed moments ago. His gaze turned to Ramir, who was expressing confusion for what had caused the Slytherin’s sudden mood change. Elias blinked.

Were those puppy eyes?

“You didn’t make me sad,” reassured Elias, a bit hesitantly, as if he was unfamiliar with open displays of affection which was probably true. In truth, Elias knew that it was not Ramir, but his words that caused him to go embark on his sad train of thought. For better or worse, the boy had learned to live with it, which meant that he tried to minimize the amount of time he spent thinking about depressing thoughts. With the pseudo debate over, Elias did not find the need to keep his true thoughts hidden. “You should act in your best interests regardless of what I feel. Your argument wasn’t terrible. Your content strong and you have a lot of enthusiasm, but you’re not expressing yourself as well as you could be.” The wizard wondered if he should mention that bringing up one’s penis during an argument about fate wasn’t the best idea, but thought against it. Truth be told, Elias almost laughed, considering he was also just a teenager but then he remembered his grandfather’s birthday party. The words he said against Muggles back at the party weighed more heavily on his mind with the halfblood’s obvious attempts to lift his mood. Guilt gnawed away at his stomach until he pulled out a small novel from his bag. Closing the distance between the two, Elias attempted to hand over George Orwell’s 1984.

“Even if you don’t care for elaborate speeches, I’d at least suggest reading more. That alone will do wonders. This book was written by a Muggle author, and since you like them so much, it should interest you,” said Elias, though he wasn’t completely certain as to whether or not Ramir actually read. For all he knew, Ramir was very well-read, but was just terrible at expressing his ideas. The dark-skinned boy didn’t seem the type to be inhibited by shyness, so it must have been something else. While it was a coincidence Elias happened to have 1984 in his possession, he figured it wouldn’t hurt to try to pass it along to the Gryffindor.

@Ramir Khan

--------------------

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Infinity Rising Wolf Out jcink forum Last Resort Shadowplay Lochland Grove OOTA  photo hr_banneri2014_zpsclfhj2jt.png Avalon a Panfandom RP Kousei, an island paradise for the natural and supernatural awaits Code 8 The Beginning A Change of Heart Storybrooke War Is Brewing Forum Roleplay Site A BRILLIANT MAGIC