izarding
izarding
Realm
Realm
It's summertime in Scotland; the weather has begun to clear, and the flowers are in full bloom! Now is a time for bonfires, stargazing and long nights spent with friends and family! Welcome to Wizarding Realm- an AU Harry Potter role play set in current day hogwarts!
WR

Add Reply
New Poll

Summer Wandlore Sign-Ups!, open all term!
Lyx · 43 · Wandlore · Neutral · Single · 5'6"
Professor
Awards:
Awards: 7

Jun 16 2018, 12:23 PM   Link Quote
user posted image
The wand chooses the wix, and all that…

Think of Wandlore like busy crosswalk, with everyone crossing in every direction at once, trying valiantly not to run into each other. A theory-heavy, intersectional discipline,
Wandlore is one of the more complex, ancient branches of magic: the study of the history, abilities, action, and creation of wands. Wandlore draws from several other branches of magic, with two overly simplified goals in mind: the understanding of wands and what they do, and how to better utilize them as a guide for your magic. This course will touch on such subjects as Magical World History, Charms and Transfiguration, Herbology, and Magizoology, among others.

Wandmakers and aspiring wandmakers study this subject, and sometimes, it can help you better understand your wand, it's abilities, and your working relationship. My ultimate goal of this class is not to spawn the next generation of wandmakers, but instead to give you a glimpse of understanding how to better utilize and master your particular magical strengths. This is not an easy discipline and is often defined as esoteric. Bottom line, this isn't a class you can sleep through and hope to glean some knowledge. Your hard work will not go unrewarded, as learning even the basics of Wandlore can help to improve your magic in other areas. If this sounds like too much for you, perhaps take up scrying, or xylomancy. Let's get started, shall we?

RULES:

1: Respect is paramount. This goes for in-character and out of character interactions.
3: If you sign up, please attempt to participate. Having people sign up and the class just dying isn’t fun for anyone. Also, house points count double for classes with your sign up!
4: Summarize your post at the end. When group topics get moving, it’s easier to read the summaries to catch up as opposed to reading entire posts.
5: Homework is optional. House points will be awarded,

CURRENT CLASS ROSTER:

Nessa Ivers
Ronan Ivers
Laoise Murdoch
Cameron Blackwood
Ferdinand White

Please reply to this topic with the following form:

CODE
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]House/Year:[/b]
[b]Strongest branch of magic:[/b]
[b]What interests you about wandlore?:[/b]
[b]Is this your first wandlore class?:[/b] answer ooc with regard to your character, please. Quel has been teaching for the last seven years, so she’s bound to have some repeat students

“If you made it this far, thank you for your attention! We’ve already gone over that godawful crosswalk analogy, but really, it rings true here. Looking at the parchment in your hands, you’ll find the projected curriculum for wandlore. There may be at least one joint unit, as well as a couple of guest lectures. The wandmaking community is either incredibly collaborative, or incredibly isolationist, and I prefer to be the former. Each header is a unit, and each bullet underneath is a lesson or discussion that will follow. For those of you planning to sign up for extra study sessions, or private tutoring, please pay attention to the list, as these will be what I ask you about as it pertains to private lessons. Please note that there is a lot of overlap, and some things that we touch on will be things that I go into depth with in more advanced classes.”

curriculum

Intro to Wandlore:
  • History of Wands
  • Wand Construction
  • Identifying Components
The Weakness of Wands:
  • How Wanded Magic has Extinctualized and/or Elitified Wandless Talents
  • Limitations of Wands
  • Wand Sickness
    • Splintering
    • Core Sickness
    • Wand Damage and Fatigue vs Wand Death
    • When to Stop Using Your Malfunctioning Wand aka “Please Do Not Spellotape Your Wand.”
You and Your Wand!:
  • “Wand Chooses the Wix” and Wand Sentience
  • Wand Core Practical
  • What Does Your Wand Say About You?
  • Why Did This Wand Choose Me: When Atypical Wands Choose You, and How To Work With Them. Or Don’t. That’s Your Decision.
      Note: this unit will touch on Intro To Wandmaking, but only briefly, as ITW is an advanced class and an option for Independent Studies.
Spells:
  • What Do Wands Do With Spells? the Abridged Version
  • Knowing Your Wand’s Limitations
    • Strengths and Weaknesses
    • Where To Push and Where Not To
  • Risk Evaluation: Knowing When and Why This Is A Good Skill To Develop Over Time
Advanced Classes:

Intro to Wandmaking:
  • Dos and Don’ts, or as we like to call them “Guidelines to Wandmaking”
  • Continuing Education
  • Habit Building
  • Ethical Sourcing
      Note: Any actual construction will be reserved for students interested in pursuing an apprenticeship.
“To sign up for advanced courses, independent study, or private tutoring, please fill out the form below. Keep in mind, my life is as busy as yours is and space is limited, so only sign up if you’re willing to commit to our sessions.”

(ooc note: please only use this for plotting reasons, not just for funsies, because i’m using it for plot reasons for raquel, not for funsies.)

Add this to the bottom of your sign up!

CODE
Name:
Advanced Class, Independent Studies, or Private Lessons?:
If Independent Study or Private Lessons, specific subset you want to work more on:
Why is this a course you would like to pursue?

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image user posted image
i found peace in your violence, can't tell me there's no point in trying.
Ani · 16 · 6th · N/A · Pureblood · 5'4"
Gryffindor Prefect
Awards:
Awards: 14

Jun 16 2018, 09:08 PM   Link Quote
Name: Nessa Ivers
House/Year: Gryffindor // 6th
Strongest branch of magic: Transfiguration // Divination
What interests you about wandlore?: "Nothing much, but core and wood blendings and pairings are kinda cool."
Is this your first wandlore class?: It would not be! Nessa would've been forced to take it at the first available opportunity.

Name: Nessa Ivers
Advanced Class, Independent Studies, or Private Lessons?: Private Lesson
If Independent Study or Private Lessons, specific subset you want to work more on: Continuing Education
Why is this a course you would like to pursue?: "My parents are forcing me to. Please help."
Sunny · 17 · 6th · n/a · Pureblood · 5'6"
Ravenclaw
Awards:
Awards: 11

Jun 18 2018, 01:13 PM   Link Quote
Name: Ronan Ivers
House/Year: Ravenclaw // 6th
Strongest branch of magic: Magical theory
What interests you about wandlore?: Fantastic wand woods and how to grow 'em
Is this your first wandlore class?: Nope!

Name: Ronan Ivers
Advanced Class, Independent Studies, or Private Lessons?: Independent study
If Independent Study or Private Lessons, specific subset you want to work more on: Ethical sourcing (maybe environmental concerns regarding growing wand-wood?)
Why is this a course you would like to pursue?: *The Lorax voice* "My family grows wand-quality wood. I want to research how best to care for our trees. Does muggle pollution threaten the well-being of wand trees? How do we protect land where wand-wood grows?"
Ani · 13 · 3rd · · Halfblood · 5'1"
Hufflepuff
Awards:
Awards: 8

Jun 18 2018, 03:27 PM   Link Quote
Name: Laoise Murdoch
House/Year: Hufflepuff // 3rd
Strongest branch of magic: Healing
What interests you about wandlore?: "Wand Sicknesses and how to cure them."
Is this your first wandlore class?: Yes! It is, and she's very, very nervous.
Ben! · 16 · 5th · · · 5"11
Hufflepuff Beginner
Awards:
Awards: 5

Jun 23 2018, 10:19 PM   Link Quote
Name: Cameron Blackwood
House/Year: Hufflepuff / 5th
Strongest branch of magic: Charms / Magical Theory
What interests you about wandlore?: "..."
Is this your first wandlore class?: Yes, it is his first. He kind of got caught in a breeze and blew in without really thinking about it- don't mind him.

Name: Cameron Blackwood
Advanced Class, Independent Studies, or Private Lessons?: Private Lessons / Independent studies??? (whichever we discussed pls don't kill me lyx bb)
If Independent Study or Private Lessons, specific subset you want to work more on:
"..."

He wants to get further into this topic that fascinates him, and is considering wandmaking as a career choice.

--------------------
I took a little journey to the unknown,
And I come back changed, I can feel it in my bones.
I fucked with the forces that our eyes can't see,
Now the darkness got a hold on me.
🌙🌙🌙
Suxals · 12 · 1st · · PUREBLOOD · 5'2
Slytherin
Awards:
Awards: None
Jun 24 2018, 01:55 AM   Link Quote
Name: Ferdinand White
House/Year: Slytherin, 1st year
Strongest branch of magic: None specific yet.
What interests you about wandlore?: I believe that to be a great mage first we need to know how our wands work. But i am mostly interested about learning how they function and how they are made.
Is this your first wandlore class?: Aye!
Mah · 18 · 7TH · · HALF-BLOOD · 6'1
Ravenclaw
Awards:
Awards: None
Jul 10 2018, 07:44 PM   Link Quote
Name: Mason Iversen
House/Year: Ravenclaw/7TH Year
Strongest branch of magic: Magical Theory (unless 'petrification spells' count)
What interests you about wandlore?: "I prefer to keep my reasons private" (but Mah is allowed to add: he wants to know if studying wandlore will somehow help him be a better wizard)
Is this your first wandlore class?: yeap!

Name: Tigerlily Whipple
House/Year: Hufflepuff/3D Year
Strongest branch of magic: Transfiguration
What interests you about wandlore?: "I'm just... curious. There seems to be so many interest things to learn about magic! I don't really understand where magic comes from and how... how it works, I guess. Maybe this class will help?"
Is this your first wandlore class?: yeap!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

ADMIN MOD