izarding
izarding
Realm
Realm
It's summertime in Scotland; the weather has begun to clear, and the flowers are in full bloom! Now is a time for bonfires, stargazing and long nights spent with friends and family! Welcome to Wizarding Realm- an AU Harry Potter role play set in current day hogwarts!
WR

Add Reply
New Poll

{Feel the rhythm in my chest, just breathe}, Laila/Elissa
Fox · 32 · Librarian · · Widow · 5'11
Hogwarts Staff
Awards:
Awards: None
Jun 3 2018, 02:38 AM   Link Quote
Weather such as what was currently being experienced in Hogsmeade is perfect for a vast multitude of things: walks, jogging, sightseeing... countless activities that put the comparatively warm weather to use. All around the bundle of clustered log cabins and shops the warm sunlight - what little of it pierced the fluffy cloud cover above - caught on fresh snowmelt, refracted in endless colour.

Beautiful

Laila Murdoch, having moved from France little over a year prior, was well aware that this was likely to be the only time of year that would permit reasonable outdoor activities and thus was spending her time wisely... reading a book. Some might group such an endeavour among the other indoor activities, labelling it a sin against the astounding weather. Laila, when faced with such accusations, would usually lift a single finger in response before returning to her reading (no, not her thumb).

In truth, Laila found it easiest to think when off her feet. Walking around, the pleasant burn of exercise thrumming through her muscles, she found it difficult to focus on the countless beasts running rampant through her skull. Sure, some might argue that distraction from such issues was a good thing, but the Ravenclaw alumni much preferred to think about and resolve her troubles.

The night knows nothing of the chants of night.
It is what it is as I am what I am:
And in perceiving this I best perceive myself

And you. Only we two may interchange
Each in the other what each has to give.
Only we two are one, not you and night.

Re-Statement of Romance by Wallace Stevens was among the countless poems that filled the small red leather book held in one hand. The words read too many times to count by the deep green eyes of the mother Murdoch. It had an ache of familiarity to it, the words read in his voice. That bright tenor filled with loving warmth, reciting the age-old words with an ease earned only by practice. Without thinking, cold fingers flicked to the front page, knowing what she would find.

For my dove ~A

A sad smile touched her lips, then. Others in her position might be sent to tears, filled with grief of love lost... Laila, though? She believed in remembering the happy times, enjoying what was instead of what wasn't. She flicked back to the page she had been reading, then, brushing away a rebellious tear from a pale cheek.

Nor night and I, but you and I, alone,
So much alone, so deeply by ourselves,

So far beyond the casual solitudes.

@Elissa D'Este
Stellama · 26 · Transfiguration Prof. · 🌸 · Pureblood · 5'5
Professor
Awards:
Awards: 12

Jun 9 2018, 08:26 PM   Link Quote
“Blue!”

Blue. Of all colours, it just had to be blue, huh? Taking a deep breath, the witch couldn’t help but smile in the faintest of ways, manicured fingers running through the soft hair of the child in her arms as she watched how those thin strands indeed began to turn from mousy brown to a bright shade of cerulean. No wands, no potions, no hand movements, or incantations; just hair changing its colour by the mere will of the child, a sight that never failed to fill her chest with an overwhelming feeling of pride. “You just want to laugh at your maman, huh? Alright, Bas, we can do blue. Let me see what I can do.” Unlike the usual tone the professor had during her lessons, Elissa’s words were quiet, gentle and calm, filled with a warm that most people probably didn’t even think the Gryffindor Head of House was capable of – at least not with how serious she acted most of the time. But at those moments, as she carefully placed her small son down on a couch, Elissa seemed like a completely different person, pressing a soft kiss against Bastien’s forehead before reaching into her dark robes to bring out her wand.

With a soft wand movement that involved a single flick of the wrist, the Transfiguration professor pronounced a confident “Crinus Muto”, her wand emitting a white light as her mind was filled with thoughts of that beautiful cerulean colour. ’Like Bastien’s hair, like small Cerulean Warblers...like the skies during those summer days spent with Anthony.’ For a mere second, her smile faded away, only returning once her gaze met that of her son – his irises of a bright purple and for once not attempting to imitate the vertical slit pupils of her cat. The choice of colour likely wasn’t even an intentional one, as he rarely ever managed to control details as small at those, yet it still made Elissa happy to see, extending a hand towards the toddler as she looked at him. “So… How do I look?” She asked then, to which Bastien replied with a laugh, declaring a quiet “ ‘t’s blue!” before taking her hand. And sure enough, underneath her black and pointed hat, the shoulder-long hair that was usually a dark shade of brown had turned of a cerulean much alike that of her son, making them match.

Truth be told, after having spent most of her school years sporting hairstyles in bright shades of purple and pink, Elissa truly didn’t care much for walking around with her hair turned blue, specially if it got Bastien to leave their small house as he rarely did since the Easter holidays had been over with. “Alright then. Let’s go out for a walk, hmm? Oz?” Elissa said, the mere mention of the cat’s name being enough for its amber eyes to open, jumping down the sofa on which he had been sleeping and stretching his large body before following Elissa and Bastien out the doorway. She didn’t really have much of a plan for that small outing of theirs, as usually it was her dear house elves who took care of the shopping, cooking, and everything else; her time at home after returning from work being mostly dedicated to spending time with Bastien. But, shy as her toddler was, getting him to go out without doing something as silly as turning her hair of a vibrant colour for the mere sake of his entertainment was…impossible.

Of course, Hogsmeade being the picturesque and small village it had always been, it didn’t take long for Elissa to run into someone she knew, chatting for a short moment before moving on with their walk – a conversation that, mind you, mostly consisted on them asking about her hair with a laugh while Bastien half-hid behind her legs with Oz never leaving his side. They probably made an odd group to the sight. But honestly, Elissa didn’t care much, occasionally stopping to point at this or that flower, pet a friendly crup, or enter a shop that Bastien seemed to like. By the time they got to High Street, she was already carrying three small bags in the hand that wasn’t holding Bastien’s own, going on a short educational speech about merpeople (all because Bastien had seen a nice siren figure at a store), before coming to another stop. Quirking a brow, russet eyes set on the familiar sight of a woman she recognized as Hogwarts’ own librarian, making Elissa tilt her head slightly as she seemed to be…taking a walk while reading a book? How peculiar, although she supposed such ability fit quite well with her job.

Madam Murdoch, bonjour,” Elissa greeted with the usual politeness displayed towards her colleagues at school, traces of childhood french letting themselves through what was usually a great example of Received Pronunciation. “I wasn’t aware you lived at Hogsmeade as well.” She commented then, gently squeezing Bastien’s hand (who was already beginning to go for his usual routine of hiding behind her) and forgetting all about how her hair was blue for a mere second.

@Laila Murdoch

--------------------
user posted image
Fox · 32 · Librarian · · Widow · 5'11
Hogwarts Staff
Awards:
Awards: None
Jun 13 2018, 09:35 PM   Link Quote
That night is only the background of our selves,
Supremely true each to its separate self,
In the pale light that each upon the other throws.

~Wallace Stevens, Re-Statement of Romance~

Laila allowed the book to shut with that dull thump of finality as well-loved pages met in a harrowing embrace. The conclusion of reading was always as much to the well-learned Murdoch, her respite from waking dreams and nightmares ended... if only for a time. The cover was as it always was, that same red leather with a tear along the binding where her eldest, Laoise, had stretched the book wide in an imitation of a flapping bird. That tear, the splotch of something on the bottom corner of the cover, the water-logged upper edge of all the pages... The book was well loved, more so than any other in her collection. A reflection on the person who had given it to her.

Adam Murdoch had been, as Stevens would put it, her one. Quick to sarcasm and teasing wit that somehow never crossed the line into hurtfulness but always had a foot in the pool that was humour. He had brightened her every day, exchanging books like teen gossips exchanging rumours in hushed whispers. The pile of his recommendations had, at first, seemed a daunting prospect. For a time it had jokingly been referred to as a foundation column for their home given it was tall enough that the topmost book was snugly fit between the plaster ceiling and the rest of the stack... now it was just this one book. The book of poetry she held in her hands, never willing to consider it finished even after the several dozen times she'd brushed through the already worn pages.

Madam Murdoch, Bonjour, I wasn't aware you lived at Hogsmeade as well.

The Librarian was snapped from her memories with jarring force as her gaze lifted to the source of that lilting French-brushed accent. Hearing as much, she already found herself liking the source even before she recognized the Professor. She herself had grown up in Nice, after all. A countryside French girl through to her very bones.

Of course, the first thing that struck her was the deep cerulean blue of Elissa and her son's hair. As she noticed the deep purple of the younger boy's eyes, her eyebrows were tugged groundward even further to the point that they near overshadowed her eyes. I wasn't even aware she had a son... how obtuse of me. That momentary confusion was much like the breeze: there one moment and gone the next. In its place was the Librarian's customary bright smile and eyes filled to the brim with twinkling mischief and happiness. A facade to hide the thoughts prior to Elissa's arrival? Perhaps. Her first bout of attention was, of course, expended on Elissa as was polite. Already scuffling in the grass to regain her feet with some dignity, hands clasping behind her back with a ramrod-straight stance as if jokingly impersonating a soldier. "Madam D'Este, bonjour!" She exclaims brightly, "ça va?"

She awaited that reply before bending at the hip to fix D'Este junior with that bright gaze and a brighter smile, hoping to put the nervous boy at ease. "What magnificent hair you have there, young master! It would seem I'm missing out on a trend, mm? Let it never be said I am behind on fashion!" She exclaimed with a widening of her smile - if such a thing were possible. "Crinus Muto" She murmured under her breath, briefly closing her eyes as - perfectly hidden behind her back - she pointed her wand headwards. The blue of deepest midnight, the gentle hue of nights long forgotten, the feeling of his absence. True to her word, her hair deepened and shifted until it was the same cerulean hue of her two companions. "Ah! Much better, don't you think?"

She straightened at the hip, then, returning her gaze to Elissa with smile still firmly in place albeit a subtle seriousness touching the corners of her eyes as was appropriate of addressing a colleague, let alone one who had been at Hogwarts far longer than she. "I only moved here recently, Madam." She said softly, shooting a brief smile at the young boy once more. "I concede, it has much better reading nooks than Nice."

@Elissa D'Este
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll

ADMIN MOD