izarding
izarding
Realm
Realm
It's summertime in Scotland; the weather has begun to clear, and the flowers are in full bloom! Now is a time for bonfires, stargazing and long nights spent with friends and family! Welcome to Wizarding Realm- an AU Harry Potter role play set in current day hogwarts!
WR

Add Reply
New Poll

if I had the words, they still wouldn't be enough, lyx//ravi
T.J. · 18 · 7th · Undecided · Halfblood · 6'2"
Hufflepuff
Awards:
Awards: 5

Jan 3 2018, 02:09 AM   Link Quote
If there was ever a title that could be added to Cuyler’s name, it was that he was the king of clumsiness. Now, he wasn’t always clumsy (being a beater was serious business, of course), but when it came to things that required his utmost attention then he was the first to fall into the floor at the feet of defeat, too bullish in his shape to be able to operate effectively around fine china. Of course, if you listened to his mother, she would say that it was “cute”: this was, again, her custom-technique to dispelling any of her son’s troubles, as it was her line of thinking that pretending it wasn’t a problem stopped it from being one. What a mom, amirite? But try as she might (and boy did she) her deflecting away from Cuyler’s clumsiness had yet to pay off. He still broke things-- a lot of things, and if you wanted a present wrapped for someone special who you didn’t really… know? Yeah, better off looking elsewhere. Which, speaking of the devil--

“God damn it!”

Hands aching and his eyes drooping, there was a part of Cuyler that had considered giving up. “I don’t even know him-- if he’s even into guys,” the Irishmen mumbled, grappling again with the roll of wrapping paper as he tried to secure it around the edges of Ravi’s present. Ravi Masoud. The boy who had seemingly been so kind and yet so distant from Cuyler, that had tutored the big lug and help him feel (not-so) useless when he was in his classes-- that Ravi Masoud. “I mean is it fair to assume he is? Did I ever ask him? I could have, but I derailed enough of or study session without asking him if he likes guys… Isn’t that still intrusive?” Words still aimed at no one in particular, Cuyler mused for a moment at the memory of his friend Ellington having asked an amputee why she had no legs.

“Yeah, definitely not doing that.” Having secured the wrapping paper in its place with enough tape to keep an island afloat, Cuyler allowed himself to fall back against the cold, cobblestone floor of the common room. This was “his” time of year-- the time where all the people he considered closest to him were showered in gifts both practical and not, each one of them subjected to one song or another about how great their gift was. But seriously, they were amazing. Still, as he looked at the gift he’d just wrapped (if you could call it that), and the one that Maisie had wrapped for him (because it was bigger), there was a noticeable anxiety tied to the task at hand. Would Ravi like them? Would this be too weird? More than that was it even… Acceptable to give someone a gift that you’d hardly been around? There was liking someone, sure, but when did it stop being harmless and start being the creepy, clumsy caveman stalking the cute, definitely-has-his-life-together brainiac?

“I’m not gonna be able to do it, Maisie.” Turning to the slumped shape of his sleeping friend, the frown on Cuyler’s face deepened, the Irishmen now paralyzed with a different fear. “I mean sure, he might like it--he might really like it, but what if he doesn’t? What if he takes this as really weird? This isn’t like giving you whoopee cushions. There’s no guaranteed smile.” The smile. It was the best, most single-most amazing moment about the gifting process, because when someone really liked what they were being given it showed in their smile. A man of dimples, Cuyler knew this to be a solid fact, and it was that minute little detail that was halting everything where it stood. “You know what, no-- I’m gonna do it, because I can’t not do it, but if he doesn’t like it… I’m transferring to Durmstrang.”

He was talking, and too much at that, just so he could avoid actually going to the Ravenclaw tower and bearing that small piece of his soul. It wasn’t necessarily about fear anymore as much as it was about his pride, but-- well, that didn’t make it any easier. There were so many possibilities, and while in some facet they might’ve been equal (the good and the bad), Cuyler couldn’t help but focus on the bad. You know, like a bad habit. “Alright, alright-- I’m gone, I’m doing it. I’m going to go deliver these presents and pray that he likes them.” Standing slowly, he adjusted the neck of his sweater, trying again to battle the dragonflies in his stomach in an effort to stand proud. And although Maisie hadn’t been awake for a while now, there was a part of him that could still hear her voice, reminding him that the only thing worse than fear was the idiot standing in front of her.

Rude.

He was at the doorway of the Hufflepuff common room before he even knew it, his awkward and clumsy steps quickly turning into a full-sprint as he tried to make the right staircase to get in the vicinity of Ravenclaw tower. It wasn’t somewhere he’d ever been nor even needed to be, and if he was honest with himself then right now felt like a mighty funny time for his first trip. “Okay, okay-- this is the right one, I think…” Stepping off of the staircase and back onto the marble floor, Cuyler craned his neck curiously to the right and then to the left, slowly deciding on the latter of the two after noticing a peculiar statue. “Oh man, oh man… I don’t know the password!” Smooth Cuyler, real smooth. “Well, okay, I’m just gonna leave this right… Here?”

Dropping to one knee, Cuyler placed the puzzles at the base of the statue, taking a deep breath before trying to hide them closer to the back. God forbid someone else find his terrible (and Maisie’s wonderful) wrapping job, only to open it and laugh that he was sending puzzles to the boy genius of Ravenclaw. That would be a real nightmare. “Eh, whatever.” Next, he pulled a piece of parchment from his sweater’s breast pocket, securely it discreetly under the bow of the present Maisie wrapped.

It read:

Ravi,

So, as odd as something like this is going to sound, I wanted to get you some gifts for Christmas. I didn’t know what to get you, what with you being so smart and all, but I was talking to my friend and she said that smart people like puzzles. So, I bought you some puzzles. One of them is really easy to complete and the other a little more difficult (guess which one I can do?) but it’s my hope that you’ll like them. If you don’t… Well, that’s okay too. I just wanted to get you something for helping me. Words can’t really express it, but I guess I’ll try anyway. Thank you, Ravi, for making class not suck as much.

With embarrassment,
C.O-S.

---
@Ravi Masoud

--------------------
user posted image
Lyx · 18 · 7 · Undecided · Questionable · 5'8"
Ravenclaw
Awards:
Awards: 7

Jan 14 2018, 01:16 PM   Link Quote
Ravi had so much to do.

That went without saying, honestly. Tutoring ten students this term, Cuyler O’Shaughnessy his pet project up until graduation, taking a record number of NEWTs… Some days it felt like the wisp of a boy needed a Time Turner to do it all. That was exaggerating, of course, but since he hadn’t felt comfortable going home for the last three or four years, working through the Christmas holiday was nothing. His family didn’t even celebrate Christmas, and Ravi only really participated because he was surrounded by students who did when he was at school. More often than not, he was giving small gifts during Ramadan, because that was just normal in his world.

It still caught him by surprise, being given gifts by his peers. Ravi was terrible at gift giving. He always wanted to get people things that were practical, and most people didn’t see that as all too fun. His students got things they needed, packets of study notes that would help them remember things, maybe a book on the subject that they liked (because he always, always buffered the tedium of studying with fun, as it made retention easier). In that respect, there was a reason why the Ravenclaw had the growing collection of Rubik’s cubes and brain teasers that he did. He appreciated it, because it meant that the kids he helped out actually listened to him, saw part of him.

The same couldn’t be said for others.

Much as Cuyler wanted to tell him that he wasn’t invisible, he still felt like it. He also could feel himself wanting to scream every second that he was in the same vicinity as the giant Hufflepuff. How pathetic was it that he was sitting right there, and Ravi couldn’t get his voice to work long enough to confirm yes, he was into guys, and to ask if Cuyler wanted to do something on the weekend that wasn’t studying?

“This is why you’re destined to die alone with just your sunflowers,” the Pakistani boy muttered to himself as he climbed the stairs, bag so heavy that it was digging bruises into his shoulder. He always had so much to do.

He had expected to get back to the Tower, take a quick shower, finish proofreading an essay for a couple of the Slytherins in his Arithmancy class. He’d bundle up, because it was beginning to get cold in the castle despite the magic used to keep it warm, and he might wander down to the kitchens to entertain the house elves and maybe make some hot cocoa. That was usually how his nights went during winter term, especially around the holidays when nearly everyone had gone home.

What he was not expecting was to see the object of his affection panicking about not knowing the password before deciding that he was just going to leave the gifts that he’d carried at the base of the entrance, pulling a letter from his pocket.

“We don’t have a password,” Ravi said, clearing his throat as a way to let the Hufflepuff know that he’d been caught. “You have to answer a riddle to get in.” His dark gaze turned to the gifts on the floor. “Do you have a friend in Ravenclaw that you wanted to give those to? I could let you in if you wanted.”

It didn’t even occur to him that maybe, just maybe, the gifts might be for him, but why would it? Cuyler was a popular guy. If he bought a gift for every person that flitted in and out of his life, he would drive himself to bankruptcy before he even graduated. Ravi shifted the bag lightly on his shoulder, though it did nothing to ease the deepening bruise. “I thought you were going home to be with your parents for the holiday?” he asked, approaching the entryway.

What came first: the phoenix, or the flame? it asked.

“A circle has no beginning or end,” Ravi replied, leaning down to pick up the gifts and hand them back to Cuyler as the common room opened to them. “Come on, we’ve got a tree set up and everything. It’s not as lovely as Hufflepuff’s, I’m sure, but it suits.” Again, what did Ravi know? There were far too many conflicting religions in Christmas celebrations, Pagan influences muddied by Christian ones, but he didn’t say. Nobody liked a smartass, after all.

For once, it didn’t seem so drafty in the Ravenclaw tower, which he was grateful for. The ceiling had been charmed by one of the more ambitious seventh years, glittering like the night sky when the sun went down. A towering statue of Rowena Ravenclaw sat, offerings at her feet. Ravi smiled at the sight, pulling a small pair of oranges from their pocket and laying them at her feet. Any bit of luck to aid in studying, he supposed. Traditions were traditions.

Save for the two of them, the common room was empty, the light of the fire bouncing warmly off of the book cases that lined the room. It was a stark contrast, the orange light giving way to blue shadow. “Welcome to Ravenclaw. It’s usually a lot busier.”

@Cuyler O'Shaughnessy

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image user posted image
user posted image user posted image user posted image
T.J. · 18 · 7th · Undecided · Halfblood · 6'2"
Hufflepuff
Awards:
Awards: 5

Mar 5 2018, 08:07 PM   Link Quote
It had always been a pressing matter for Cuyler that, no matter how hard he seemed to try, things never really worked how he intended for them to. Some of that was that he was clumsy, and some of that was that he was foolish, either too stubborn or too prideful to learn from his mistakes in a constructive way. Of course, if things worked how he wanted to then that was where Ravi Masoud would come in. He was so patient, so kind, a warm soul the didn't just seek to help him grow but to understand why his growth was important. "Is that why I got him these gifts?" he mused quietly to himself, looking down at Maisie's handy work and giving a gentle smile. "Or maybe it's just that he's cute. Someone worth being ar--"

Cute off in the ramblings of his monologue, he was shocked (and perhaps horrified) to see none other than Ravi himself. "No, no-- I mean yeah, I want to give them to them..." Shaking his head, he gave another of his goofy smiles to the Ravenclaw boy, shaking his head loose of his nerves if only temporarily. "I guess I forget that not everything is like Hufflepuff. It's sort of all I know, so I mean... Yeah. Riddles are cool. That was a cool riddle..."

He could sense himself derailing again, hands fidgeting as the statue gave way and Ravi entered into Rowena's tower. It was nice; nice in the sense that Cuyler immediately felt as though he should touch nothing other than himself, in fear that he might break something that a worker's hands couldn't afford to replace. "It's nice," he started, "I never really thought of the towers being so... I don't know, expansive. I somehow had a very different idea of what it would be like to see one of these things from the inside. And the tree-- you know I love Christmas, right? It's my favorite time of year."

There was a hearty smile at the end of his words, the loaf of an Irishmen watching closely as Ravi stepped comfortably into the common room around them. Did he spend a lot of time here? Was this where he pulled all of his late-nighters? It made sense for him to be comfortable here, at least when compared to Cuyler, but there was something different in his demeanor that left a sense of awe in Cuyler's eyes. Ravi wasn't quite as timid, unsure even (if that was the word), and like Cuyler on the Quidditch pitch, he seemed to feel at home. Then again, maybe he was just overthinking things, looking into things that weren't there because he didn't want to have to deal with the very thing his hands were beginning to dent with his grip. Deflection and whatnot.

"Hey... Ravi?" Loosening his grip on the gift just slightly, he exhaled (and then immediately inhaled) a deep breath. Why does this have to be so difficult? "I... I don't want to be short, I don't even want to come off rude, but-- dammit." He shook his head, raising his right hand and rubbing it tensely across the side of his face. "This gift is for you. I didn't really want you to know it was for you because I mean, that's weird. I'm weird. It's kind of out of pocket for me to be here and be giving you this gift, but you've done a lot for me. Like really, a lot-- and I wanted to do something for you in return. I just didn't... I wasn't expecting you to be the one that came up to me while I was trying to decide to put it down or run."

Sensing himself running a little long, he stepped towards Ravi, the lankiness of his limbs and the stretch of legs making him feel all the more awkward in the place of the much shorter boy. "But anyway... It's not much, and it really wasn't that expensive, but I want you to have it. So here." Passing it from sweaty hands into the center of Ravi's chest, he let out an awkward cough, retracting it slowly before attempting to pass it into the other boy's hands. "Erm, sorry. I forget that I'm... That my hands are heavy. I really hope you like it, though? Because if you don't that'd be pretty awkward..." Voice trailing off, he looked down, feet knocking together in leather boots as if to wish himself back to Kansas. "I'm making a right mess of this, aren't I?"

---
@Ravi Masoud

--------------------
user posted image
Lyx · 18 · 7 · Undecided · Questionable · 5'8"
Ravenclaw
Awards:
Awards: 7

Apr 24 2018, 03:08 PM   Link Quote
Cuyler rambled. It was something that Ravi liked about him, the incessant noise, and that was because he didn’t do quiet very well. Silence stressed him out, which was why he preferred to be in groups, even if he wasn’t speaking. It was always so quiet at home.

Cuyler, however, also rambled when he was getting nervous, something that Ravi did, so it was something that he easily noticed in others. “Is it because of the gift-giving bit? That seems like something you would enjoy,” he commented, making his way over to one of the tables that was reserved for studying. With the slightest of anguished hisses, the boy shrugged the bag off, the sound that it made as it hit the floor a good indication of just how heavy it was.

Hey… Ravi?

The sudden sound of his name made him perk up slightly, dark eyes jumping to the blonde Irishman. Immediately, his head tilted in confusion as Cuyler spoke, tipped slightly to the right like a puppy trying to figure out what the hell was going on. That was pretty accurate for how he felt, too, because in no universe could he fathom why Cuyler would be freaked out about getting him a gift. He couldn’t even figure out what universe that they were in that Cuyler would get him a gift at all.

The first pass of the pair of gifts was unexpected, Ravi’s lack of balance jostling him a little and making him stumble some. Immediately, they were pulled away and handed over a little more gently.

He wasn’t really sure what to say, so he took the envelope off the top and pulled the little note out, a small smile forming on his lips as he read the words in handwriting that was steadily becoming familiar. “I have a collection of puzzles,” he remarked, tucking the note in his back pocket before Cuyler could take it from him. Not that he thought the Hufflepuff would, but it wouldn’t be the first time that someone snatched something from his hands. “The kids I tutor give them to me. They’re mostly Rubik’s cubes and those metal brain teasers, but…”

True to form, one of the puzzles would be incredibly easy, but the other had 2,000 pieces and far too many similar colors for Ravi to bust it out in anything under eight hours. “Thanks?”

He sounded confused. He felt confused. Logically, Cuyler wasnt the first of his students to have given him a gift, but he was the first to be so weirded out about it, nervous, asking I’m making a right mess of this, aren’t I? The dark haired boy shook his head, cradling the gift a little closer. “I really appreciate it, thank you. I’m afraid I didn’t get you anything… fun. Just some study guides that’ll be easier for you to read than your textbooks are.”

@Cuyler O'Shaughnessy

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image user posted image
user posted image user posted image user posted image
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

ADMIN MOD