7th
YEARS
258 posts
Unknown
Advanced Member

Rep: 0 pts [ + | - ]
Liam AndrewsRavenclaw Novice
Awards: 16

It was quiet in the Great Hall between meal times and when Liam knew that he'd be reading through the time that food was expected to be in his body, there were times that you could find him in the Great Hall rather than the library or his common room. It was a way that the eagle could keep delving into the book as he still consumed the materials that were necessary to keep the body going. Since Kiska was busy, there was rarely anyone that wanted to speak with him anyways and the young man was a loner by nature as it was. It didn't bother him to be surrounded by his homework and textbooks, books in general, out in the greenhouses, or with some animals - whether that be on the grounds, in the owelry he didn't mind. Right now his thoughts were consumered with the sea creature that had appeared in the lake and he wanted to learn more about her kind. Anyone asking however, would not get the whole truth about why he w was reading about mermaids, of course, since he had promised Nasha to keep her existence in the school's lake a secret.

There was a shell that was laying in the depths of his pocket, a symbol that he was going to keep the promise to the girl. His fingers absently reached into his jeans as the blue eyes continued to read on about where mermaids could be found in the Wizarding world. The mermaid in the lake didn't know much of her life before she had come to the grounds of Hogwarts.Liam felt bad for her and thought that maybe if he could learn more about the sea creatures in general, he could somehow help Nasha - spike her memory or something.

A smile formed on his lips as he read about the magnificant creatures that had their home in the water. Liam didn't mind swimming, but he couldn't imagine being able to live under water. While he would enjoy it, there was something about the green earth that he also liked - being able to hear burds, plant different things, help and learn about all the other species of animals that lived in the world. In all honesty the eagle would probably be lost without his books to be able to learn about the magical world in which he had joined when he was eleven.
@Devitt Leighton

--------------------
PM
^
Devitt Leighton
 Posted: Mar 27 2017, 08:28 AM
Cat
Ghost
Muggleborn
Ravenclaw Alumnus
(∞) 35 YEARS
28 posts
👻
dancing in a swirl, of golden memories

Rep: 1 pts [ + | - ]
Awards: None

To pass the time, Devitt had taken to floating around the castle on his back, high up near the ceiling of the ground floor. He faced the ceiling, not particularly interested in what the students or staff were doing. It was almost always the same scene, with students bustling about, chatting and gossiping and making it seem like they had somewhere highly important to be and had something equally as dire they needed to do or say. The staff was, comically, a little similar, walking in pairs or threes as they spoke in hushed tones through somewhat forced smiles, gossiping about this and that as if they were school boys and girls as well.

Devitt had never really been interested in gossip. Even in life, the only rumors that made his heart flutter remained in those pertaining to unnatural things he could, potentially, utilize in his work. Everything else was simply white noise in the background to him, not really significant unless it had to do with himself. Which, even then, he often tuned out anything about himself. There wasn't much, if he could remember right, his memories of life a little foggy. But he knew he had never really been the most popular around; the most that he could remember being said about him in whispers throughout his life had mainly been in how 'strange' most people saw him. He was always too quiet, too attentive and yet too aloof, too studious and yet too distracted, too fragile and insignificant and yet he had roles to fill that were too big and important. He was always too much of something for someone. The fact that so many had differing opinions on what he was too much only further added to his strangeness, so it was a moot point to try and push against the image. He'd only end up proving he was peculiar if he tried.

The ceiling opened up suddenly, far too out of reach for even an extended arm to come close to 'touching.' The floating candles---some of which Devitt had noticed were going through his body---meant he'd found himself in the Great Hall finally. He hadn't necessarily planned on going to the hall, hardly ever having any business there, but finding it was a good indication that he'd done a lap around the ground floor. He contemplated going another lap around, but chanced a curious look below, unsure of the time of day. If there were students below, eating, he'd pick himself up and leave as he didn't want to disturb them. From what he could see, though, there were hardly any students around. Frowning a little, Devitt fixed his posture so he was upright and erect again, then floated down to the floor, landing on his feet. He walked casually over to a boy who seemed to be engrossed in a book. The sight brought a smile to his face, the appreciation of the knowledge in the boy's hand clear to Devitt, and shared wholeheartedly as well. For a moment, he forgot his manners, picking the busy boy of all people to inquire. "Excuse me, what time is it? Ah, and what are you reading? Is it a new book?" He asked, eyes unable to remain politely on the boy as he kept looking down at the book, half attempting to read the text for himself and, maybe get as lost into the words as the boy had.

---
@Liam Andrews

--------------------
RAVENCLAW
{ alumnus }
PM
^
Liam Andrews
 Posted: Mar 30 2017, 05:00 PM
Kenzie
7th
YEARS
258 posts
Unknown
Advanced Member

The quietness around the boy made it easy to sink into the words, to fall victim to their entrancing magic. Liam often fell victim to the words on the pages of books that he found in the library, today was not a mere coincidence or an exception the rule. His lips were curved into a bit of a smile, but if one were to look closer they would find that the younger man was also chewing on the corner of his lip, his eyebrows were furrowed in focus as his steely blue eyes were scanning the page - line after line after line. The eagle was lost to the magic of the sea and he was quite happy with this fact. He was learning more and more about the mermaids that were in the magical world that he had joined when that strange man had come to tell him and his parents about Hogwarts.

That was why, when the voice behind him came, Liam bit his lip. With a soft grunt and a small yelp, the young man's hand flew to his lip and he rubbed it, grimacing as he turned to look who had spoken. When his gaze fell upon a ghost rather than a person, his blue eyes turned even brighter and bigger. For he was not scared of the shimmery man that stood before him, he was intrigued. Excitement lashed through the eagle as he grinned, momentarily forgetting that he had been asked a question. This was just his week, after all. Not one, but two magical creatures were going to interact with him. His smile was bright and his fingers clenched, rubbing together slightly as pain of biting his lip vanished from the forefront of the young man.

Were ghosts even considered magical creatures? Liam made a mental note to research that next as he glanced to his watch, to see the answer to the ghost's question. "It's, uhh, it's about quarter after three." Students wouldn't be milling around the Great Hall in search of dinner for another hour or so yet, so Liam had a good chunk of time to still read or interact with this creature that clearly wanted to converse with him. "I was reading about mermaids," he gestured to the pages in the book on the table in front of him, shifting his body so that it was a little easier to see the ghost now, straddling the bench with each of his legs on either side of it. "They're fascinating creatures, really. Say, are you considered a magical creature? It seems to me like you would be, but I'm not sure?"

The rambling stopped from the young man and he bit his lip again, hoping he didn't offend. Things flew out of his mouth when he was excited and clearly these was one of those times. Taking a deep breath, Liam watched the ghost as he shifted, hesitant. "I'm sorry," he apologized quickly. "You don't have to answer that. I'm Liam. I just got excited."

@Devitt Leighton

--------------------
PM
^
Devitt Leighton
 Posted: Mar 31 2017, 10:44 AM
Cat
Ghost
Muggleborn
Ravenclaw Alumnus
(∞) 35 YEARS
28 posts
👻

Devitt blinked in surprise at the boy's initial reaction, feeling a little bad as it seemed like he had hurt himself faintly. The look of astonishment that came after as he rubbed at his lip suggested he was alright, however, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. There were students that didn't take to ghosts well; screaming at the mere sight of them down the hall. There were others that simply found them annoying, scoffing in their direction and muttering unpleasantries under the voices, because despite their apparent dislike of them, not many would be willing to insight the ire of the dead. It was silly, of course, as Devitt could count on his hand the number of ways a ghost as an enemy would be terrible. But, maybe he wasn't as creative as some other ghosts. He'd certainly imagined a poltergeist being a worse hell than himself, but that was perhaps a given considering the distinction.

"Thank you," he answered politely, keeping his gaze away from the book as he realized he should've offered his attention to the boy. After all, he was speaking to him, and for as curious as he was about the book and what it said, it'd be more useful to talk about it with the wizard than try to read on his own. "I see," he said with a nod, thoughts wandering back to a short time ago when he had met a new mermaid himself in the lake. Devitt thought he knew about as much as he could about them, although, to be frank, he had never really been fully invested in learning about magical creatures beyond their capabilities and symbolism. Much time had passed since he'd been alive, though, so he supposed there was plenty he must have missed, unable to remember the last time he read about sea creatures.

He nodded in agreement about them being interesting creatures, chuckling afterwards at the inquiry thrown at him. He laughter faded after a moment, catching the boy's concern and shaking his head dismissively at his worries. "It's alright, it's just a question. Yes, I'm considered a magical creature," he answered through a lopsided grin, "A spirit, to be exact. There was some time where we were classified as Beings, but ah, that didn't work out well so, the Ministry redefined us and thus, spirit division." Devitt didn't involve himself much with any of the problems outside the castle. The political world especially held no interest for him, even if it ought to have, considering it was his own existence that could be threatened by certain things. He tried to remain neutral though, perhaps a little selfishly so. It was difficult to force himself to care, especially as he led a quiet existence at Hogwarts. Hopefully, it would remain as peaceful. He didn't know what else he would do if something erupted between ghosts and the living.

His smile faded into something more comfortable, the incessant nagging of his heart still urging his eyes towards the book. It was a shame, as Liam seemed like a nice boy, but Devitt had spent decades meeting other nice students, so the eagle wasn't particularly standing out to him. Sadly, not as much as the book in front of him. Devitt scolded himself mentally, trying to remind himself of his manners as he looked back to meet the wizard's gaze. "I'm Devitt. It's a pleasure to meet you," he said, arms remaining at his side, the urge to reach out and shake someone's hand as he greeted them long gone by now. It was amusingly different to his urge to turn a page or reach for a book. But then, maybe he'd always had a better connection to books than other humans.

---
@Liam Andrews

--------------------
RAVENCLAW
{ alumnus }
PM
^
Liam Andrews
 Posted: Apr 1 2017, 07:11 PM
Kenzie
7th
YEARS
258 posts
Unknown
Advanced Member

The eagle always had loved animals and plants as a boy. When he had entered the magical world rather than the muggle one, his focus had switched to plants and magical creatures; though truth be told, Liam would always be more interested in the latter than the former. His eyes watched the ghost, listening to his words as the young man ran his fingers along the smooth wood of the bench that he sat on. It was not because he was bored; rather the Ravenclaw was actually very interested and listening to anything that the ghost was willing to tell him about his current situation. His smile widened as he listened to the spirit tell his tale, but noticed also, that the creature seemed to be distracted by something; his eyes kept wandering and then seemed to be forcing himself back into the conversation with the eagle.

Liam shifted on the bench, further moving his body to face the ghost better. He was not a people-y person by nature and actually spent many hours in the Ravenclaw tower recharging his batteries in order to feel ready to interact with the people in the world again. He used homework and books to keep himself away from the exhaustion of people - he was definitely an introvert to the core of his being, even if there were times that nobody else in the school could actually tell, the way that the young man was full of smiles and engaging in conversations. So the fact that the ghost didn't truly seem to be interested in conversation didn't bother the young man - in fact, it made him wonder if perhaps at one point the ghost had been like him, wanting to read books for knowledge and would rather do this than converse with the people around them.

"So you're classified as a magical creature and a spirit?" Liam mused over this bit of information, gesturing with his hand to the ghost as he shifted once more, moving to turn the page on the book. "I clearly need to get a book about ghosts. But for now, you seem interested in reading this book with me?" Liam peered over his shoulder at the magical being as his legs rested on the right side of the bench once more, looking to see what the ghost's reaction was. After all, could ghosts even turn the pages on books? How absolutely dreadful that would be? For a book reader like the wagle, it almost seemed like a cruel kind of punishment, in a way.

"We can both read it, if you want?" he offered the ghost, still peering at the shimmering figure. "I don't mind turning the pages as you read with me." There. In that careful statement hung the question about turning pages. It wasn't quite as rude as the alternative, but it begged Devitt to answer if he was able to move the pages of a book anyways.

@Devitt Leighton

--------------------
PM
^
Devitt Leighton
 Posted: Apr 12 2017, 07:31 PM
Cat
Ghost
Muggleborn
Ravenclaw Alumnus
(∞) 35 YEARS
28 posts
👻

The bluntness in the eagle's response caught the ghost by surprise, but it was rather comforting to have the matter out in the open. Devitt wasn't particulary good at masking his distractions, in life and as a ghost. Thankfully, the boy either could relate or wasn't bothered by his wandering eye, offering very kindly to share his book. Smiling again, the ghost floated over beside the boy, allowing himself to hover over the bench as if he were sitting beside him. "Yes, I'd love to read along," he answered, a little more excitement in his tone than he intended to show. The man couldn't help himself when it came to his favorite pastime.

The comfort and knowledge that the text on paper gave him was often what had kept him so able to overcome the various misfortunates of his life. When he'd been a toddler, just able to walk and talk, it had been books that had tucked him in at night when his parents were too busy to deal with a child they hadn't ever really looked after from the beginning. When he had been a schoolboy and learned that there was something a little different about him, the other boys teasing and shunning him swiftly, not caring at all that they had hardly given him a chance to relate to them, Devitt had had books as his solace. The fiction and the non cradled him through his early life, acting as teacher, friend, and parent when he had really needed those roles as guidance. All the stories, all the information; it hardly mattered what he read about, Devitt had always enjoyed spending time absorbing it all. Even with the concepts he didn't understand, the man had expended the energy to learn, hardly ever giving up no matter the challenge.

In all his excitement, the ghost hadn't picked up on anything else the boy had said. He might've thought to pay more attention, but even as he tried to recall Liam's words, he hadn't thought anything of them. Other than the obvious, which brought the faintest touch of blush to his cheeks. "Oh, and thank you. I don't believe I've read this one yet," he answered, bashful at how gracelessly eager he must have come off to the boy. Not that he thought Liam would mind - hopefully, at least, it wouldn't have bothered him. The last thing Devitt wanted right then was to hear the boy change his mind. He'd be left with the burning curiosity to know what the book said, even if he wouldn't have known about it if he hadn't randomly decided to stop by the eagle. It hardly mattered to the ghost, any book was just as good at the rest, and, regardless, he was more than content to spend his eternity on them all.

"I used to read all the time. Well, actually," he shook his head faintly, smiling a little as he corrected himself. "I still do. But my corner of the dorms was always piled high with books. Back then, they were mostly religious texts and ancient magic. A lot of alchemy and works on symbolism too. But ah, it was easier then to read," he said, sighing softly through his nose. "No matter now. I think I'm meant to be able to interact with something like pages, but I suppose even after a hundred and sixty odd years, I still have plenty to learn about ghosts too. Maybe when you find that book on us, I could learn something new along with you?" He asked, poorly hiding the hopefulness in his tone. He'd never learned to be direct, it seemed. Even with an eternity, the man thought he could expect to always struggle with it.

----
@Liam Andrews

--------------------
RAVENCLAW
{ alumnus }
PM
^
Liam Andrews
 Posted: Apr 15 2017, 08:21 AM
Kenzie
7th
YEARS
258 posts
Unknown
Advanced Member

The young man had loved reading from the smallest of ages, when he had been a toddler he had picked up books and begged his parents to read to him, over and over again. When he had been seven and become a bit of an outcast at primary school because everyone knew of the child that had helped a stuck boy from a tree, Liam had turned even further to his books. His best friend, his dog, Tigger, would lay with him in the grass outside, letting the boy use him for a pillow as Liam read with a book on his stomach. Even before Hogwarts the eagle had taken to reading a lot, both fiction and nonfiction. There was nothing quite like the adventures that a fictional book could take you on; just as there was nothing quite like being able to learn more about the world around you because of a nonfictional book.

His fingers brushed the cover of the book about mermaids - the gold letters of the title shining out past the pale blue cover. It had a rough texture and his fingers detected small bumps in the book as they shifted over it, bringing it closer to him once more. His fingers fanned through the pages as the quietness around them continued on, since it was still a few hours before the great hall would be filled with the sounds of students and professors eating and chatting with one another, filled with the smells of whatever was on the menu for that night. Those thoughts were not on the eagle's mind however, as he opened the book to the page that he had been on; his mind only held room for his excitement to get back to the book about mermaids that he was reading and the fact that he had met someone, even if it was a ghost, that seemed to value texts as much as he did.

His eyes settled on the magical creature once more when the page of the book was found, talking about where mermaids were mostly likely to be found. He had not noticed that the ghost could blush - if he had, he would've stored the information away to look it up in a book for sure. Instead, Liam focused on Devitt's words about his reading habits, smiling. "I understand the love. I can't imagine what it must be like, to rely on others in order to be able to read a book. Most of my nonfictional reading is about magical creatures - it's fascinating to me that there are so many all over and yet, coming from the muggle world, they have no idea. Like, a niffler would just be mistaken as a thief and cause all sorts of issues."

Liam's eyes went back to the pages of the book about the mermaids and he nodded before he fell into the silence of reading. Of course he would let Devitt read with him whenever he wanted from now on, but for now, the text about mermaids was calling his name and the ghost's voice faded away as the eagle was lost in the world about mermaids and where one might find them, what they might eat and other valuable things to know about the magical creatures that lived in water. The shell presses against his leg as he read, his thoughts on the young mermaid that he met in the lake as he learned about her species and information that could be related to her.

@Devitt Leighton

--------------------
PM
^
Devitt Leighton
 Posted: May 19 2017, 08:28 AM
Cat
Ghost
Muggleborn
Ravenclaw Alumnus
(∞) 35 YEARS
28 posts
👻

Devitt's lips curled in amusement, the eagle genuinely catching his attention as he spoke. Maybe it was in their shared love of books, or maybe it was in the kindness the boy had showed him that created this sense of obligation towards him that had the ghost pushing the book momentarily aside to listen. Whatever the case, the ghost found the boy delightfully charming, particularly in the way he enthused about magical creatures.

"Yes, it's quite funny. And to think, some are hidden in plain sight. I've often wondered how many creatures I saw before I knew magic was real," he replied, a small shake of his head as he entertained the thought. "Although I suppose, well, ending up magical, I should've seen anything suspicious looking. I think," he added, frowning then and looking down at his hands resting on the table.

"In any event, it's amusing." Devitt didn't want to hypothesize right then, his mind quickly prodding at him to go back to the book. He'd started the paragraph on the various species of mermaids at least twice now, mind a little frazzled for some reason. Perhaps it was the lingering jitters from the joy that washed over him upon hearing he could read along. It wouldn't have been the first time that the ghost couldn't handle such an elusive, stimulating emotion as warm and uplifting as happiness. Not even the boy's comment about how hard it must have been on the ghost to not be able to read without help could hindered his smile, though he could admit it prodded him vaguely. By now in his existence, though, it was something he'd just learned to live with. Amusingly as that statement was.

He returned to the text as the eagle did, able to rest a moment and consider what he read as he was a rather speedy reader. It wasn't obvious if Liam was slower or if he purposefully allowed them to remain on the same pages longer to give the ghost time to read, but it was nice to have the pause to reflect on what he read, his mind sorting through the info. Much of it he did know, but there was plenty that he didn't; likely new discoveries shedding light on the variation between different species of mermaids. "It's interesting," he started, eyes still focused on the black text of the page they were on. "How there can be so much variation. I suppose environment is to blame, but it does make me wonder if all mermaids can speak the same language---if Mermish is universal. Or perhaps there are different dialects, like with our languages." He half-proposed, blinking and tilting his head to try and meet the boy's gaze.

As a language enthusiast, Devitt had a particular fascination with both the spoken and written word. When alive, he had picked up several languages, becoming fluent with, he felt, relative ease. Something about it was easy for him; the symbolism clicked in his mind straightaway, the phonology, the morphemes, the syntactic systems---it was all a very complicated dance performed in a myriad of ways, from the clicking of a tongue to the glottal articulations, to even the expression on ones face and the things that they did with their bodies as they spoke. Communication was beautifully enchanting; a magic all its own. The only thing about it that Devitt could ever balk at was in how, for as much as he was in love with languages, he really wasn't much of a talker. But that was often more comical to him than sad, and it never really diminished his fondness for learning about communication. That was the distinction, he supposed. One was utilizing the skill, the other was simply appreciating it for the complexity that it was.

----
@Liam Andrews

--------------------
RAVENCLAW
{ alumnus }
PM
^
Liam Andrews
 Posted: May 24 2017, 01:10 AM
Kenzie
7th
YEARS
258 posts
Unknown
Advanced Member

It wasn't something that Liam had ever thought a lot about - how languages separated people, the different kinds of creatures around. He hadn't thought much of the fact that Nasha must know English as well as the merfolk language, at least some version of it. As he digested these thoughts that came along with the readings on the book, his fingers tapped lightly along the edge of the table, his eyes gazing at nothing in particular as just beyond all the tables, his mind's eye actually saw mermaids that were sort of similar to Nasha in a body of water that the eagle had just read about, talking in a different language that the young man did not understand. The sun was shining down on them and it was a vivid imagery that stayed with him for a long moment as he considered the fact that they were speaking another language.

The imagery was broken as Devitt spoke, channeling his own thoughts and the eagle looked to the magical creature, nodding as he thought about it. "It makes sense that they have different versions of the language, just the way that there are different versions of English, or even different accents all around the world, I suppose. I don't know a great deal about languages, but this makes sense to me." The young man watched the spirit and gave him a smile as Devitt met his gaze. If there was something that the two shared, it was definitely clear that they both were enjoying this moment; this discussion with the other.

His fingers flipped to the next page, carefully peeling the page apart from the next so that the two could continue reading about the mermaids that were found in different parts of the world. Maybe the book would give a little bit more in depth details about the languages that the magical creatures of the sea spoke, maybe not. In the end, it was striking to the young man how comfortable he felt sitting here with a ghost reading about these things. Devitt's presence didn't feel odd; even though to an outsider, they might've seemed like an odd pair hunched over the table together to read the pages of the book.

Not that the eagle cared about such things anyways. There was a logical side of him that told Liam that he was probably being helpful to the magical creature at his side as well, but this wasn't why he was sitting here with the ghost to read about mermaids. In fact, it was more like two old friends were sitting together and discussing the book than anything else. Liam found peace in the situation, found that his shoulders were relaxed, found that he was enjoying himself. The fact that Devitt was actually adding to the conversation and wanted to know his thoughts and opinions was an added bonus to the moment. "Do you know other languages," he asked the spirit, tilting his head to see him better after turning the page. "I only know English and a part of me feels like I'm missing out on so much, now."

@Devitt Leighton

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Infinity Rising Wolf Out jcink forum Last Resort Shadowplay Lochland Grove OOTA  photo hr_banneri2014_zpsclfhj2jt.png War Is Brewing Kousei, an island paradise for the natural and supernatural awaits Code 8
The Beginning Sunset To Sunrise Avalon a Panfandom RP Storybrooke

Welcome to WR! We are an alternate universe HP roleplay set in the present day Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The current term is Spring 2017! Please register with a FIRST AND LAST NAME properly capitalised.